Home-milled Einkorn Wheat Sourdough Bread

I took 3 cups of my homemade Einkorn wheat starter and added approximately one cup of einkorn wheat flour and water and let it ferment overnight on the counter. The texture is pretty loose. The next morning I put the mixture in the mixing bowl along with one ounce of quality olive oil, 1 T of salt and 1/4 cup of honey and I added enough Einkorn wheat flour so the dough  wraps around the dough hook and cleans the sides of the mixing bowl. Make sure to give it a good mix. 

I then take the dough out without punching it down and turn it out on my counter and I cut it in half. This recipe is for 2 loaves. I gently form the loaves of bread and place them in proofing baskets overnight in a cold oven. I make sure to slice the top of each loaf with a sharp knife. 

After the loaves have had adequate time to grow in size. You may need to let it proof longer than overnight. Some people proof in the refrigerator. That's up to you. I'm sure the refrigerator would take longer.  

I then place the loaves in a Pyrex bread pan and cook at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. You will need to look at them to make sure they are done. I then take them out of the bread pans and place on a cooling rack until completely cool. 


 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clay's Seafood Gumbo #aaayyyeee

Tex-Mex food is good for the soul!

Southeast Texas a Culinary Smorgasbord