Grandma Adams' Chicken Noodle Soup




1 whole chicken
1 pound noodles (I like macaroni)
2 to 3 quarts water
2 large yellow onions chopped
8 celery stalks
4 carrots cut into small pieces
6 cloves garlic
2 tbs basil
1 tbs black pepper
5 bay leaves
2 ounces of soy
1 lbs fresh large mushrooms quartered (I do not cook these until the last hour)
1 tbs cayenne pepper (optional)

Put water and chicken in the pot and bring water up to boiling, then reduce heat to low. I cut up everything and add while the water is getting hot. I then cover and let simmer for a couple hours stirring occasionally. I then render all the fat of the top of the pot with a ladle. I remove the whole chicken and de-bone and put meat back in the pot. 30 minutes prior to shutting things down I put in about 5 cups of noodles and the quartered fresh mushrooms.

Forks in the road – If you want more liquid add it. If you want to tighten it up use what you got. I just added about 2 tbs corn starch dissolved in a couple cups of water. If you like more pepper use it. You can always chop up some peppers and throw them in. If you want a sweeter soup add some honey. I like the fact I can remove just about all the fat and keep the sodium way down. Low fat and low sodium – hey that’s healthful food!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clay's Seafood Gumbo #aaayyyeee

Shrimp & Grits

The nutritional benefits of milling your own grains