The nutritional benefits of milling your own grains







The nutritional benefits of milling your own grains
Preparing the most nutritional meals possible for my family has been my focus for many years. For years I have read about the many empty calories we consume on a daily basis. The vitamin and supplement business is a mega-billion dollar industry. I have known for years highly processed foods were bad nutrition. Processed foods are easy and pretty but do not translate to nutritious food. Any foods that have been processed and designed to have a shelf life are at the best poor nutrition. Canned and pre-packaged foods have added ingredients that are poison to our bodies. Doctors have been telling us for years to lower our consumption of saturated fats, sodium and sugar. If everyone just cut their consumption of bad stuff by 50% we would be in far better condition. If we consumed the foods God gave us we would be in splendid condition.

In my research I have read many things that are just good common sense. I started to cook my meals without defaulting to the quickest and easiest route. fresh wholesome ingredients are very flavorful and extremely healthful. I was astonished to learn the fact commercially milled grain is worthless nutritionally speaking. All commercially milled flours have negligible nutritional value. In the milling process the manufacturer removes various parts of the grain so the flour you buy can sit on the shelf for years. The parts of a wheat berry are the bran, germ and endosperm. Whole wheat berries contain almost all the nutrition your body needs to perform at an optimal level. The commercial milling process discards and destroys fragile vitamins, minerals, protein and oils your body desperately needs. The commercial milling process involves the removal of both the bran and the germ of the wheat berry. The bran and germ are packed with valuable nutrients our bodies need.
Families in the United States have become so lazy they have ignored our failing health. The commercial milling process became the norm in the United States about 100 years ago. Is it just coincidence all the new health problems we are experiencing came right along with mass production of commercially milled grains? I think not. Common sense should tell you there is something missing in our diets.

The next logical step would be to eliminate as much commercially milled grains and canned and pre-packaged foods from your diet. In turn you will lower your sodium, sugar and saturated fat intake. In my quest for the best foods with both nutrition and flavor in mind, I discovered organic foods. I really never knew the difference between conventional and organic foods. Other than the fact conventional foods are far less expensive in most cases. I figured the tree huggers have fought the battle for years and I would just defer to their judgment. I found fresh organic foods to be the freshest, most flavorful foods I have ever tasted. On top of that, the nutritional values are off the charts. 10 months ago I never shopped for organic foods or toxin free meats. I read many statistics regarding saturated fats and other poisons Americans consume in huge quantities. A rancher buddy of mine told me all the benefits of grass-fed beef for years. He says grass-fed beef is healthier for our bodies than chicken and fish? I ask my butcher if it was true and he agreed. Do you own research to verify the facts? I simply use common sense and take their word for it. I trust my friends. 

Refined sugars, sodium and saturated fats are not good for you! There are so many bad ingredients added to products to increase shelf life I don’t have time to look it up. Huge quantities of sodium are in everything. Highly refined sugars are also bad for you. It has to do with overloading our pancreases with needless insulin production and confusing our bodies. The fact is, even organic sugars are bad in excess. I do not even want to discuss the good or the bad regarding high fructose corn syrup. The tree huggers say it is bad, so I take their word for it. The fact it is a man made ingredient that is cheaper and easier to produce makes me leery. An executive with a major restaurant told me high fructose corn syrup is the culprit making the United States fat. He told me we were far healthier as a nation prior to the days of high fructose corn syrup. I believe him. Just one coke has a big pile of the stuff in it and some folks drink multiple every day, pulverizing your body with this stuff has its negative consequences. Just eliminating your sugar consumption would be a great benefit to your body and health. Cutting your saturated fat consumption dramatically would be a great step to eliminating the need for cholesterol medication and the need for heart surgery. Cutting your sodium consumption would help lower your blood pressure and reduce your chances of heart disease.

We all know too much fat, sugar and salt is bad for our health. Our bodies deserve the finest natural, wholesome foods the good Lord wanted us to eat. You will be amazed how well your body will respond if you modify your eating habits.

Comments

  1. You make some excellent points and there's nothing like the real deal. Why just looking at this blog makes me hungry.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Clay's Seafood Gumbo #aaayyyeee

Shrimp & Grits