Beef Jerky

Everyone should make their own beef jerky.  I have been a connoisseur of beef jerky all my life.  The various Polish, German, Czech etc meat markets around Texas do a very good job.  You can't drive by Prasek's Market and not stop, not if you have any sense.  Prasek's has a huge selection of jerky and beef sticks and it is all great! My buddy in Northern California has been consistently turning out beef jerky superior to anything I have ever tasted.  The Northern California climate is very favorable to the production of beef jerky.  The low humidity is the exact opposite of the climate here in Southeast Texas.

The method:

I carefully laid out strips of grass fed beef roast sliced thin.  I then sprinkled with garlic powder, black pepper, salt, sucanat (natural sugar cane crystals) , red pepper both pulverized and whole.  I then mixed up some soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, pulverized pineapple and sucant.  I used a submersible blender and then painted it on with a paint brush.  See photos ~

I laid everything out on sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil and then put the sheets in the sun on the counter of my bbq pit.  The sheets dried up significantly in the sun.  On this batch of jerky I smoked at 175 for a few hours way away from the firebox with only a small fire going.  I will drop it down to 150 the next batch.  I think a smaller fire will reduce the smoke and enable me to increase the draft and maintain the lower temperature.  I started the aluminum foil sheets in the pit so the strips of jerky would dry a little more before direct contact with the grate.  I then laid the strips out directly on the grate and smoked till dry. See photos ~







This is some good stuff~ 

Comments

  1. Thats some great looking beef jerky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shane, I have a deer ham and shoulder in the freezer I will turn into jerky. Organic deer jerky is hard to beat and it is good for you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Clay's Seafood Gumbo #aaayyyeee

Shrimp & Grits

The nutritional benefits of milling your own grains