Blackened Ribeyes

The king of blackening meat was Paul Prudhomme.  The most popular item on his menu at his restaurant in New Orleans is blackened filet.  It is off the charts delicious!  No doubt about it!  I have employed his method and some of his flavors and changed it over the years to suit my situation and tastes.  

Prudhomme uses butter in a black iron skillet and then places his well seasoned meat in the melted butter.  I changed the process a bit by seasoning the meat and then adding clarified butter to the meat and smearing it all over the meat to basically create a paste.  I always do the blackening of my meats outside because of the white cloud of smoke it creates.  I heat up a black iron skillet for a few minutes and then add a little avocado oil to the skillet and immediately put the steak on.  It is very important to have a large spatula to flip the steak so you do not lose the spice coating.  It usually only takes a few minutes on each side to cook the steaks to rare to medium rare.  Obviously, if you are using a thin piece of meat it would be much quicker.

The way I prepared 2" thick ribeyes is as follows - I squeezed fresh lime juice to lightly coat both sides of the steak.  I use my fingers to rub it into the meat.  I then lightly sprinkled the steaks with pink Himalayan sea salt.  Then I sprinkled the steaks with fresh ground Tellicherry black peppercorns.  Then I sprinkled with granulated garlic and granulated onion.  At this point there is a build up of spices.  You want a build up to happen as the spices will be the outer crust of the steak. Then and finally, I take a spoon and coat both sides of the steak with clarified butter.  I use Kerrigold butter because I have not found a better product.  After the steaks are completely coated with clarified butter I used my fingers to smear the steaks and basically push the spice and butter mixture into the meat.  Once that is done the clarified butter seems to preserve the spice coating from scorching and the final product is delicious.

Enjoy the pictures ~









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clay's Seafood Gumbo #aaayyyeee

Shrimp & Grits

Blackened Cod