Blackened New York Strips

On rare occasion we have steak. Growing up we used to have t-bones once a week or so. Paul Prudhomme is one of my culinary heroes. Every time we go to New Orleans K-Paul's is one of our favorites. As I have mentioned before in this blog, Paul Prudhomme perfected the blackening method and passed his knowledge on to others. For that I am very appreciative.

I squeeze a fresh lime or 2 all over the steak and rub it in. I then dust with fresh cracked Tellicherry black peppercorns, granulated garlic, granulated onion, Lawry's seasoned salt that was previously pulverized in a spice mill and that's it.

I then heat up a cast iron skillet outside until it is real hot. I then take a generous chunk of Kerrigold unsalted butter and throw it in the skillet. Then I put the steak in the skillet and have a large spatula handy. Keeping the spices attached to the meat is very important for the quality of the final product. I usually lift the steak with the spatula to get the melted butter between the skillet and the meat. It works. But, you have to be careful when you flip the steak being careful not to disturb the blackened spices. Give it about 3 or 4 minutes and flip and test with your finger. Again, don't let the steak stick to the skillet by making sure the melted butter is between the meat and skillet. When the skillet is real hot the steak kinda bounces and smokes a lot. The process is quick and the steps are important.

This method of cooking steaks is arguably the most flavorful way to cook a steak. I will put my blackened steaks up against the finest most expensive steaks in the world!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clay's Seafood Gumbo #aaayyyeee

Shrimp & Grits

Blackened Cod