Gluten-free Chicken & Dumplings

 








I buy whole free-range organic chickens and slow boil them with 2 onions, 4 carrots, 5 stalks of celery, 6 whole cloves of garlic, 5 bay leaves, pink Himalayan sea salt and fresh cracked tellicherry black peppercorns. After about an hour or when the chicken just starts to fall apart I remove the chicken and let cool. I keep the chicken stock on a medium simmer while the chicken cools. I then de-bone the chicken and put the bones back in the stock. I slow boil the stock with the bones for 3 hours. I then strain the stock and discard the bones and vegetables.


I then cut up additional carrots and celery and add back to the strained stock until almost tender. I then remove the vegetables and drop the dumplings into a slow boil/ high simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. After the dumplings are done I add the vegetables and chicken. We love these dumplings and they are good for the soul ~

*garnish with parsley or cilantro or green onion ~


Dumpling Recipe ~

1 C organic gluten free flour

1 t baking powder

1 t baking soda

3 t salt

1/2 C almond milk

2 1/2 T melted but cool Crisco (it matters)

Knead flour in a bowl until you reach the right consistency. On a floured surface knead for about 5 minutes. Place back in the bowl and put the dough in the refrigerator for at least an hour. After the dough has rested in the refrigerator roll out on a floured surface and either have neat little rectangles or like I like them, small egg shaped dumplings ~ enjoy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clay's Seafood Gumbo #aaayyyeee

Shrimp & Grits

The nutritional benefits of milling your own grains