Palermo Meat Sauce base



Growing up my close friend’s mother was 100% Italian. She was from the Palermo region of Italy and she brought her family meat sauce recipe with her. It is spectacular and I can closely duplicate it. I loved her and her passion for cooking! I have taken her recipe and twisted it to my liking. Very much the same way I do everything I cook. I replaced beef short ribs with 99% lean ground sirloin. That’s what I like! Rather than use salt pork, I use pork sausage. The grease in the sausage fills in the gap for the 99% lean sirloin. All the fat is rendered off later anyway. Sirloin has a special flavor and I like it in my spaghetti sauce. Rather than use any salt, I use soy. The sodium from the soy really permeates the entire pot of sauce giving it a deep, rich flavor. When it comes to herbs fresh is best…..for some. But dried herbs work very well. I use oregano, basil and bay in my spaghetti sauce. I add herbs the whole cooking process for a depth of flavor never again to be duplicated exactly. Every time I stir the pot I add additional oregano, basil and minced garlic. The smell of the cooking meat sauce as I stir in the herbs is what life is all about! All the other ingredients I add in accordance with the amount of meat I cook are, fresh onion, onion powder, fresh and powdered garlic, black pepper, tomato sauce, tomato paste, tomato juice and a little bit of honey. Did I say I stir very regularly? I used to simmer the sauce all night long, but it can be hurried. The honey takes the acid bite out of the tomato products. I am currently cooking 20 pounds of the prettiest ground sirloin you have ever seen. When you are cooking a huge pot of spaghetti meat sauce having the ability to morph with circumstances makes life easy. After I brown the sausage, sirloin and onions, I add the tomato juice, tomato sauce and soy. I also throw in my first load of herbs and spices. I do not add the tomato paste or honey until the very end. I judge the amount of paste on the look of the sauce. The beautiful thing about recipes is the fact you are free to modify anything based on circumstance. If tomatoes are cheap you are free to prep accordingly. When it comes to basil, I would prefer fresh, but dried will do. When it comes to oregano I usually go with dry. Currently I am making an 8 gallon batch. I will let is rest until cool and break it down to freeze. We use the meat sauce for other dishes like lasagna and pizza. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clay's Seafood Gumbo #aaayyyeee

Shrimp & Grits

The nutritional benefits of milling your own grains