Base Dry Rub 6/15/12


I have been thinking of a flavor in my mind for quite some time and trying to create a base rub unique to the world drawing on my southeast Texas experience.  I got the itch to experiment with flavors.  Here is an excellent outcome for you to try ~  It is pretty interesting.  I added Schezwan peppercorns and coriander and modified amounts.  I toasted the coriander in a black iron skillet.  I pulverized 1 cup of pink Himalayan sea salt, 1 cup of Tellicherry black peppercorns, 2 cups sucanat and  ½ cup coriander.  The paprika and onion were already a fine powder.  The garlic was granulated.  I did not pulverize the granulated garlic.  All of the ingredients are organic and the finest available.  Most come from Whole Foods or Central Market.  The coriander I used is whole fresh organic.  The paprika is organic Spanish sweet already pulverized to a fine powder.


After I combined all ingredients and mixed very well I could still distinguish the flavor of both the coriander and the Schezwan peppercorns.  Pretty remarkable really!  Very flavorful and distinct ~

Here are the amounts ~


4 C paprika  (sweet Spanish)
1 C onion powder
1 C garlic (granulated)
½ C coriander pulverized 
1 C salt (pink Himalayan pulverized)
1 C black peppercorns (Tellicherry organic pulverized)
½ C Schezwan peppercorns pulverized
2 C Sucanat (sugarcane crystals pulverized)



I mixed the above ingredients as a base.  Now, I am going to try various chili peppers.  I mixed a small 2 cup batch up and mixed in 10 Fresno peppers and 20 arbol peppers pulverized.  It makes a distinctly warm, long slow burn, but you have to wait on it.  My next batch will have the distinct cayenne burn just for show.  My next will be 50 arbol peppers pulverized.  I am out of Fresno peppers or I would try 30 in a 2 cup mixture.  That’s my notes for now ~




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clay's Seafood Gumbo #aaayyyeee

Shrimp & Grits

The nutritional benefits of milling your own grains